Seriously, guys, I was going to write a blog with just 5 movies I couldn’t wait to see and ended up with over 20! I’ve managed to narrow it down to my Top 10 plus 1 (ha) and you’ll know where to find me over the next couple of weeks because there’s so much to see this year. Besides the galas, which the opening gala kicks off Wednesday Sept 20, I’ve got a list of some great stuff to check out but there is so much more I wasn’t able to include. From documentaries on body builders to films about LGBTQ love and tonnes of thrillers and world cinema, there’s something for everyone. But for me; I’ve got my eye on a lot of New American Cinema, the Late Shows Series and some good ol’ Canadian Cinema. Here they are, in no particular order. with a quick snippet from the Calgary International Film Festival synopsis. Festival runs until Sunday October 1.
- Tragedy Girls – In this dark satire from Alberta’s Tyler MacIntyre, two teen girls with a popular blog manipulate a local serial killer into doing their bidding.
- Bad Idea Gone Wrong – Two dim-witted thieves get more than they bargain for when they wind up trapped in the house that they are trying to rob.
- A Swingers Weekend – Seemingly perfect couple Lisa and Dan plan a steamy swingers weekend, but things go south when a third couple drops in unexpectedly.
- The Light of the Moon – A raw and realistic portrayal of the six weeks after a woman is sexually assaulted just blocks from her Brooklyn home.
- Small Town Crime – An alcoholic ex-cop seeks justice for a teen prostitute in SMALL TOWN CRIME, an ultraviolent and gritty multi-narrative crime-noir.
- A Fantastic Woman – A young transgender faces the scorn and judgment of society after her boyfriend dies.
- Don’t Talk to Irene – Overweight Irene is sent to do community service at a seniors’ home, where her life takes an unusual turn.
- My Friend Dahmer – Jeffrey Dahmer was once a child – a shy teenager who struggled to fit in. This is the story of the man that lived beneath the monster’s skin.
- Sweet Virginia – A former rodeo champ befriends a young man with a propensity for violence.
- Bad Match – An internet-dating playboy’s life spirals out of control after meeting a woman online in this thriller for the Tinder generation.
- Barracuda – A mysterious woman appears in Texas to meet her unknown half-sister and learn about their long-dead father and his musical legacy.
I don’t know about you but my schedule just got really busy for the rest of the month.